Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Model of the old neighborhood


After some research on the history of the neighborhood, we came across some recent newspaper articles that talked about a model of the old location. It was said to be in the Town Hall, somewhere hidden on the first floor. Recently, some local political parties have been trying to make the Jewish history a little more widely known, and thus wanted to move the model to a more prominent place on the ground floor. Ideally, this would be a part of a little 4th of May (memorial day) and 5th of May (liberation day) space along with pictures and more information panels. We thought this would be a great idea, but to our surprise we couldn’t find any news on it after May. It seems to be a topic that only comes back up around the aforementioned dates when the country is indeed thinking of the history.

I was determined to go see this model for myself, as the pictures of it on the internet are a little vague. I biked to the Town Hall with the knowledge that it was ‘somewhere on the first floor’, but I would just ask the people at the front desk, since it is a very big building. However, I was shocked to find out that the woman I asked had no idea such a model existed, let alone where it was. After forwarding the questions to a couple of her colleagues – who couldn't tell me either – I was told to just go up that stairs to the first floor and look for it. So I did.

I walked up the stairs and immediately saw the model, which was a lot bigger than I had expected it to be. It had outlines of the streets as they currently are, with models of the houses, shops and the New Church as they were around 1892. The model is very well constructed and would be informative for anyone who wanted to know more about the Jewish history, if only someone knew this object existed. Again, apart from a little sign with the designer and what it represents, there is no additional information on the Jewish history of The Hague. 

When even the employees who have to direct visitors to the right place in the building do not know about the existence of such a big model, then how is anyone else supposed to find it? On my way out I couldn't help but tell the lady where the model was, for any future reference. It seems like The Hague is in a way ashamed of its culture and monuments, otherwise it should be much clearer and at least stated on the website.
Further reading:
List of Monuments in The Hague: http://denhaag.nl/home/bewoners/to/Monumentenlijst.htm

0 comments:

Post a Comment